Tuesday, September 05, 2006

433

three distinct individuals apologized to me this afternoon in between asking a question and waiting for a response. in each instance i suppose my eyes looked as though they would drill a gaping wound through their occipital protuberance.

i felt sorry for two of the customers; i think they misinterpreted my enervation for agitation. the third individual, however, made the contemptuous mistake of blurting "excuse me excuse me!" while i was in the obvious midst of assisting another customer. people who act as though they are the only person on the planet will be treated as such. i dont fucking hear you because youre the sole human occupant on earth.

you dig?

after so many negative interactions its difficult for me to maintain an aura of optimism. i assume that each and every customer either has a snobby question or a downright complaint. in thirteen years of retail experience i can count the number of times a customer has expressed a sincere accolade on two paws.

negativity has manifested itself in an increasing array of guises as of late. even simple questions are now articulated using oppositional or even defiant linguistic paradigms. instead of politely asking "do you have any potatoes?" i notice that more and more people are saying "you dont have any potatoes?" they inquire by positing a negative.

the aggregative effects of such antagonistically connotated interactions are tiring.


on the opposite side of the susan b. anthony:

what the fuck happened to the art of handshakes?

i cant stand folks who have no idea how to shake hands; im sick of limp wristed, half-palm, lamar-from-revenge-of-the-nerds hackjob handshakes. a respectable handshake doesnt have to feel like your digits are being crushed by a vice grip. a worthy handshake simply requires solid, entire hand contact and one or two authoritative pumps.

nuclear physics it aint.

furthermore, unless someone looks me squarely in the eye while in the process of giving me a handshake i automatically infer that they dont give a shit. those who rivet their eyes on the floor or otherwise askew need not bother.

show some class.

2 Comments:

Blogger iamfallingfromgrace said...

I’m not a big fan of hand shakes because I can buy a limp fish at the local market. Women are the worst, I have to admit. I’ve met men that do the same. My mom taught me to have a steady, strong hand shake and say “Nice to meet you.”

If I don’t get that in return, it’s not worth my time.

11:52 PM  
Blogger mindy said...

people with weak handshakes, usually have clammy hands and that seriously freaks me out.
ugh.

3:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home