Thursday, November 23, 2006

386

for the second time in my life i refused to shake someone's outstretched hand.

"im not shaking your hand," i said.

i paused slightly and added "you treated us like dogs today."

i looked my boss in the eye.

judging by his eyes he had never before been placed in such an awkward situation. i dont think it helped that one of his full-time employees and the assistant store manager were both present.

it dawned on him that i wasnt kidding.


for that split second in time i owned him.



he then said "okay," turned around, walked towards the door and said "happy thanksgiving guys" in a sunken voice.


i keep playing today's events in my head over and over and over again and my heart tells me i made the right decision. im not sure how the aftermath will transpire or what the professional repercussions might be but i feel like i can stand tall in front of the mirror and see myself as an individual with a strong sense of integrity.

virtue is my soul; without it i am fallen.

respectful, interpersonal relationships represent the only aspect of life that really matters. when we lay on our deathbed and ponder our mere moments of existence on this five billion year old planet we inevitably will place enormous weight on the manner in which we treated our fellow human beings.


i would donate a kidney to a complete stranger to save their life.

i will not extend my hand to those who annihilate my values.

2 Comments:

Blogger iamfallingfromgrace said...

you have integrity and you stood up for yourself and the people you work with…that’s rare to find.

it's amazing how employer's don't see the best of the bunch...it's only because they aren't.

3:03 AM  
Blogger mindy said...

good for you!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home