Monday, December 11, 2006

377

even as i single-handedly destroy my jewel career i still experience micromoments of dispositional zen.

an older service clerk named andy asked me whether or not i was attending college. i told him i had already received my 80,000 dollar sheet of paper and was seeking work in the field of forensics.

im not sure why he decided to inquire but he seemed satisfied with my response.

several minutes later he approached me on the sales floor and asked how long i had worked for jewel. i told him i was flirting with fourteen years.

"here?" he asked.

"uh huh." i said.

he peered at me through his coke bottle, playground-pedophile, thick-rimmed, black, harry caray glasses and gave me a priceless look that appeared to be a hybrid between a nod of consummate sympathy and the facial expression of a horrified individual who is standing in a packed elevator and realizes the diarrhea simply wont wait.


it represented the kind of majestic, weightless comedy i want to capture in a mason jar, keep close to my heart and deeply inhale when a doctor tells me the biopsy was positive for small cell lung cancer.

2 Comments:

Blogger Otis said...

I'm sorry for the dissertation but I have to get this off my chest...

I spent 10 years working in for a national chain beginning in 1973.

During High School, The Manager was a complete dick. My best friend and I could never get off on the same night to do anything. He couldn't even get off for his prom...that was the day he quit.

I'll never forget the day The Manager got in my face so close that I could feel his breath and yelled at me because he didn't like the way I was setting up an endcap.

To have that moment to relive, I would have done things differently. I was 16 at the time.

The really sad part is that he was screwing the cashiers and if I had been wise in the ways of the world, I could have called his wife and given her his rendevous spot.

In retrospect, I should have taken off my apron, dropped it on the floor, very nicely said, Fuck you Sir" and went on my way.

Alos, I still hate customers.

4:09 PM  
Blogger megaton said...

retail sucks.

i spent twenty minutes the other day drilling the store manager regarding how pathetically my shop is run. i knew he knew i was right when he couldnt look me in the eye; instead, he gazed at a beefsteak tomato he incessantly passed from hand to hand.

he never gave me satisfactory answers to my direct questions and more often than not he totally sidestepped sensitive issues.

i felt like telling him to grow some fur on his nuts.

i did tell him i hadnt received a raise in over two years. he flippantly replied "i wish there was a way i could give you a $50.00 bonus but i cant."

fifty bucks?

i felt like laughing but i was thoroughly disgusted and i didnt want to see his face anymore.

we have no effective management structure at our store and we absolutely have no leadership whatsoever.

the one thought that keeps a slight smirk on my face is that houses made of cards inevitably collapse.

thanks for your two cents, otis.

7:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home